The Upper West Side
There may be affiliate links in this post. Read my disclosure policy to learn more.
The best things to do on the Upper West Side
The Upper West Side in New York City is often forgotten about as a neighborhood with cute families and its proximity to Central park. But a lot happening in the charming neighborhood is worth checking out. Whether you are thinking about living here or are looking to explore more of New York City.
Here are some of the best things to do on the Upper West Side
Visit the American Museum of Natural History
The American Museum of Natural History is one of the world’s largest and most celebrated museums.
Located on the Upper West Side of Manhattan, the museum is home to more than 32 million specimens of plants, animals, fossils, minerals, rocks, and human remains. Your kids will love the Dinosaurs!
Stroll through Central Park
Central Park is one of the most iconic parks in the world, and it’s located right on the Upper West Side. With more than 843 acres of green space, it’s the perfect place to take a stroll, have a picnic, or just enjoy some time outdoors.
Browse the stores on Columbus Avenue
Columbus Avenue is home to some of the best shopping on the Upper West Side. From chain stores to independent boutiques, there’s something for everyone.
See a show at Lincoln Center
Lincoln Center is one of the most popular cultural destinations in New York City. Home to the Metropolitan Opera, the New York City Ballet, and the New York Philharmonic, it’s the perfect place to catch a show.
Lincoln Center shows movies and hosts workshops through the summer, making it a family destination and cultural center.
Visit the New York Historical Society Museum & Library
The New York Historical Society Museum & Library is one of the city’s oldest and most prestigious museums.
Located on the Upper West Side, it’s home to more than 1 million artifacts, books, and documents. Revolving exhibits keep the museum fresh and educational.
Walk along the Hudson River Water Front Greenway
The Hudson River Waterfront Greenway is a beautiful walkway that runs along the Hudson River. It’s the perfect place to take a leisurely stroll, enjoy the views, and get some fresh air.
It is a great place to cycle away from traffic, and there are many spots to pull over to enjoy a picnic.
Tour the Cathedral of Saint John the Divine
The Cathedral of Saint John the Divine is one of the largest cathedrals in the world. Located on the Upper West Side, it’s home to more than 2,000 works of art and hosts various events and concerts.
It is a spectacular place and is always in the process of being finished! It has been under construction for the last 125 years. Its nickname is “St. John the Unfinished” Don’t let that dissuade you from a visit, as it is a cavernous cathedral with plenty to do and see.
Check out some of the Fantastic Street art
The Upper West Side is home to some of the best street art in the city. From murals to graffiti, there’s plenty of artwork to explore. You might even find the Banksy Hammer Boy.
Grant’s Tomb is the final resting place of Ulysses S. Grant, the 18th President of the United States. Located on the Upper West Side, it’s a popular tourist destination and a great place to learn about American history.
The tomb is operated by the National Parks Service and is free to visit.
American Folk Art Museum
The American Folk Art Museum is one of the most unique museums in New York City. Located on the Upper West Side across the street from Lincoln Center, it’s home to more than 5,000 pieces of folk art from around the world.
This museum is one of the most charming and delightful museums in New York City. Self-taught artists are displayed and valued as creating true American art.
Riverside Park is one of the most popular parks on the Upper West Side. With more than 500 acres of green space, it’s perfect for a leisurely stroll, a picnic, or just some time outdoors.
One of the best playgrounds on the Upper West Side, The Hippo playground, is here.
Columbia University is one of the most prestigious universities in the world. Located on the Upper West Side, it’s home to more than 30,000 students and 4,000 faculty members.
You can walk through the historic campus with a free guided tour or wander around the Morningside Heights after a trip to Columbia’s Art Gallery.
DiMenna Children’s History Museum
The DiMenna Children’s History Museum is a great place to take your kids to learn about American history. Located on the Upper West Side, it has interactive exhibits and a variety of educational programs.
The Best Things to eat Upper West Side
- Gray’s Papaya: Gray’s Papaya is a New York institution. Located on the Upper West Side, it’s famous for its cheap hot dogs and delicious tropical juices.
- Absolute Bagels: Absolute Bagels is one of the best places to get a bagel on the Upper West Side. Located on Broadway, it has served fresh bagels for over 20 years.
- Tom’s Restaurant: Tom’s Restaurant is a popular diner featured in several movies and TV shows, including “Seinfeld.” Located on the Upper West Side, it’s open 24 hours a day and serves classic American comfort food.
- Zabar’s: Zabar’s is a popular gourmet grocery store that has been a staple of the Upper West Side for over 80 years. Located on Broadway, it’s the perfect place to pick up some fresh produce or specialty foods. Try the knishes or the chocolate cheese strudel. You can thank me later!
- Cafe Lalo: Cafe Lalo is a popular cafe that has been featured in several movies, including “You’ve Got Mail.” Located on the Upper West Side, it’s the perfect place to enjoy a cup of coffee or a light meal.
- Barney Greengrass: Barney Greengrass is a famous deli serving traditional Jewish fare for more than 100 years. Located on Amsterdam, it does terrific bagel sandwiches and homemade borscht.
- Alice’s Teacup: Alice’s Teacup is a popular tea shop that has been featured in several movies and TV shows. It is a tea shop with an Alice in Wonderland theme, making it great for kids, but the food quality also makes it great for grownups. The scones are fluffy and shouldn’t be skipped.
- Levain Bakery: Levain Bakery is a famous bakery known for its delicious cookies. Although there are locations throughout the city, they started in the Upper West Side and managed 2 spots here. These fabulous cookies are the size of 3 regular cookies. These cookies are crunch at the edge and a little underdone in the center, making as perfect a chocolate chip cookie as I have ever had.
- Jacob’s Pickles: Jacob’s Pickles is a popular restaurant known for its delicious comfort food. The best place for brunch in the neighborhood, Jacob’s Pickles, is always busy but worth the wait. Buttery biscuits with unique toppings and lots and lots of bacon.
The Upper West Side is a great place to live, work, and play. You’ll never be bored with so many things to see and do. And with some of the best food in the city, you’ll always have something delicious to eat. So what are you waiting for? Come explore the Upper West Side today!
I endorse products I’ve personally used or come highly recommended by my trusted peers. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Leave a Reply